Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound……we all know the words to this old Christian hymn. It is popular with most believers because it seems to sum up in a few verses what we all seek as followers of a power much higher than we can explain in mere words….divine grace. The original hymn was written in 1772, by an Englishman named John Newton, but the last stanza wasn’t added until years later. It was actually included in Harriet Beecher Stowe’s book; Uncle Tom’s Cabin and was written by a man named John P. Rees.

I’ve always loved this old hymn, especially the last stanza:

When we’ve been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun,
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise
Than when we’ve first begun.

It has been sung by all kinds of people from every walk of life, from Judy Collins to Leann Rimes. One of my favorite versions of it isn’t sung, but rather played….on the bagpipes. I used to work with a guy at AT&T who had been in a Gospel Group for a while. They had recorded a whole album of Christian hymns and the like which included their rendition of Amazing Grace. I purchased their album and used to listen to it all the time. I still have it lying around somewhere; perhaps I’ll dig it out and listen again…never hurts to be reminded of God’s abiding love and Amazing Grace.

I attended a funeral today of a man I never really knew, but it became apparent to me as my friend Donna and I pulled into the parking lot, that a lot of people obviously did. The cars were parked sometimes two deep and the funeral director of traffic motioned for me to go around to the front of the funeral home, which had no available parking either. We ended up parking next to a curb in between two small parking areas. My first thought was there was a funeral and a viewing going on at the same time. Not so.

How was it that this man, that I barely knew could be loved and known by so many. (Just to set the record straight, he was the husband of my “Red Hat” girlfriend Sheila’s sister, Laura) Jimmy was only 52 years old. A young man with so much life ahead of him, except that it was his time. I’ve heard that term so many times during my life…..his or her time. What does that really mean? I guess based on your belief, it could mean most anything, but to me, it just means that your time here on Earth is done. I have always believed that we are only here for a short time and that God has pre-determined that amount of time, even before we were born.

What I learned about Jimmy today was that he was an extraordinary man to the ones that knew him. He was a husband, father, son, son-n-law, brother-n-law, uncle, nephew, cousin and friend. He liked to golf and watch Nascar Racing, was an avid Bulldog fan and could always be seen with a Skoal can in his back pocket. One of the great pleasures in his life in his younger years was his love for sports, especially softball. He loved his family and always taught his two girls to be strong and passionate about themselves and their goals.

He had touched many lives during his short walk here on Earth. It seems that he was loved by all who knew him. He will be missed by his friends and family, but above all; what matters most, is that Jimmy had “Amazing Grace”….

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

In Memory of James “Jimmy” Roan

November 16, 1955 / February 14, 2008

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry that your friend lost such a remarkable member of her family. I have always loved Amazing Grace, too. But it is sung so often at funerals that it always makes me cry when I hear it, because it makes me remember all of my friends and relatives that I have lost.

Laura Roan said...

Thank you Linda! I loved what you wrote and it has truly touched my heart. I appreciate Sheila sending this to me and then you sent it in a hard copy in the mail. It is just beautiful and captures so much of what Jimmy really was and meant to all of us. Much love and appreciation, Laura