Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bunni the Hunter

One of the things that our little Bunni does, and does quite well I might add, is hunt. Last week she came across the wild rabbit that lives in the back yard. I was on the phone with one of my girlfriends and I noticed that Bunni was chasing the rabbit. Around and around they went. It was really funny to watch as the rabbit found various hiding spots just to have Bunni come along and pick up it's scent.


The last "pit stop" the rabbit made was underneath the camper. I was very surprised to see it stopped there with the "mighty hunter" so close by, but sometimes Bunni has to be right on top of something before she can smell it. Well, the next thing I know, here comes Bunni. She ran right past the rabbit and then did a one-eighty and off they both went behind the shop. The next thing I know, the rabbit is letting out this blood curlding squeal. I quickly hung up the phone, hollered for Stef's assistance in rescueing the rabbit and quickly ran to it's aid.


I'm sorry to say that Bunni had already made the rabbit victim number 4 on her list of varmits she is collecting on her resume. By the time I got to them, the rabbit was barely breathing, Bunni had her "jaws of life" around it's neck and fur was flying everywhere. I felt terrible, how could this sweet little loving dog do such a horrible, terrible thing to that sweet little innocent rabbit. Bunni had the rabbit's fur all over her mouth, in her eyes and the rabbit's blood was on her mouth and paws. I told Stef to take Bunni in and bathe her to make sure she wasn't hurt and I proceeded to take care of her trophy.


What I found out is that I didn't have the heart to even touch the rabbit so I called Alan and he came home and took care of it. I guess from now on, I'm going to have to make sure there aren't any little critters in the yard before I unleash Bunni. Along with the rabbit, she has two mini badgers (chipsters as we call them), one squirrel and one half of a baby squirrels tail. I'm nicknaming her "killer".


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Some dogs are just like that. And nature is just like that. Hunt or be hunted. Or, she could just be protecting her territory.

Linda's Place said...

I'm sure she is doing the later. She is a very smart dog and very quick. I've never seen a dog run so fast. We took her to the vet yesterday, routine stuff, and the Vet was impressed with how muscular she is. 9.6 lbs of raw muscle....the chipsters better watch out ;)